Patrick S. Brady
Patrick’s practice focuses on litigation and appellate matters, in all aspects of insurance defense, along with special emphasis on coverage and bad-faith issues. Patrick has handled the litigation and appeal of insurance coverage, insurance broker, environmental and bad-faith issues; and commercial issues, including nuclear fuel, timber, and Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act cases.
His Ph.D. and college teaching experience in American History bring an added perspective to many legal matters. In addition to his legal practice, he is completing a nonfiction account of a battle in the American Civil War.
Practice Emphasis & Experience
- Recognized as one of "Top Lawyers," July, 2010, as selected by peers in Seattle Met magazine.
- Representation of insurers in wide range of coverage areas, including healthcare provider liability, liquor liability, automobile, homeowners, and general liability. See, for example, National Clothing Co., Ltd. v. Hartford Cas. Ins. Co., 135 Wn. App. 578, 145 P.3d 394 (2006), rev. denied, 161 Wn.2d 1006, 166 P.3d 718 (2007); Black v. National Merit Ins. Co., 154 Wn. App. 674, 226 P.3d 175, rev. denied, 169 Wn.2d 1021, 238 P.3d 503 (2010).
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
Articles & Presentations
- Author: “What Would Lincoln Say? Using Lincoln’s Logic in Your Own Arguments, “NWLawyer, Dec. 2015/Jan. 20146
- Presenter: “Lessons from the Law Practice of Abraham Lincoln”, Seattle University School of Law, 2015
- Author: “Duty to Defend,” WDTL, 2010
- Author: “Current Issues Impacting Insurance Defense Practice,” NBI, 2007
- Author: “Avoiding Bad Faith Claims,” NBI, 2006
- Author: “The Effect of Stipulated Judgments on Coverage and Bad Faith Claims,” WDTL, 2005
- Presenter: “Reasonableness Hearings after Covenant Judgments,” NW Insurance Coverage Association, 2005
- Author of articles and reviews in Indiana Law Journal, North Carolina Central Law Journal, The Broker, Western Forester, The Journal of Southern History, Civil War History, The VVa Veteran, and other publications.