Susan K. McIntosh
Susan’s practice focuses on the representation of attorneys and accountants in professional liability matters. Her experience includes business and commercial litigation, personal injury and professional negligence, health care litigation and regulatory matters, mental health; housing discrimination.
Practice Emphasis & Experience
- Represented trustee’s agent against breach of fiduciary duty claims arising out of nonjudicial foreclosure proceeding. Achieved a defense verdict at trial, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Represented attorney in legal malpractice action by successor personal representative of decedent’s estate. Summary judgment dismissal of all claims upheld on appeal.
- Represented attorney in third party contribution action by stockbroker-employee of institutional trustee of irrevocable trust in TEDRA proceeding. All claims dismissed on summary judgment.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Washington State Bar Association
- Court Rules and Procedures Committee, 2003-2006
- King County Bar Association
- Judicial Conferencing Committee, 2012-present
- Diversity Committee, 2011-present
- Judicial Screening Committee, Co-Chair, 2004-2005, Member, 2000-2012
- Secretary, 2000-2001; Trustee, 2001-2003
- Medical-Legal Committee, Chair, 1998-1999
- American Bar Association, Professional Liability Litigation Committee Leadership Panel, 2012-2014
- Advisory Board, Seattle Institute for Oriental Medicine, 1999-present
- Family Law CASA of King County
- Board of Directors, 2005-2012, 2016
- President, 2008-2009, 2017
- Vice President, 2016
- Secretary, 2010
- Law Alumni Association Board, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 1997-2000, 2007-2013
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Professional Liability Conference Planning Committee, 2014-present
Articles & Presentations
- Presenter:“Tips to Avoid Ethical Problems” and “Ethics Jeopardy,” Forsberg & Umlauf seminar on Ethics, Insurance and Professional Liability, November 12, 2015
- Presenter: “Ethics Violations Alleged in Recent Legal Malpractice Claims,” KCBA 11th Annual Ethics Workout, December 16, 2014
- Presenter: “Ethics in Recent Cases: A Review and Practice Tips,” WDTL Annual Ethics Update, December 10, 2014
- Presenter: Ethics Update,” WDTL Annual Tort Law Update, December 6, 2013
- Co-Presenter: “Tips to Avoid Ethical Problems: Recent Trends of Ethics Violations Alleged in Malpractice Claims,” Forsberg & Umlauf seminar on Ethics, Insurance and Professional Liability, November 21, 2013
- Presenter: “Ethics and Risk Management for Solo and Small Firm Attorneys,” KCBA Solo/Small Firm Section, November 13, 2013
- Presenter: “Lawyer Professional Liability,” WDTL Annual Tort Law Update seminar, December 7, 2012