Charles A. Henty
Charlie litigates and advises clients regarding coverage disputes arising out of first and third-party claims. His experience ranges from representing insurers in multi-party disputes in environmental and mass tort insurance coverage to providing advice in disputes with individual insureds under homeowners and automobile policies.
Charlie has co-authored a chapter of the LexisNexis Practice Guide: Washington Insurance Litigation regarding the rescission of insurance policies based on misrepresentations made by the policyholder in obtaining a policy.
Practice Emphasis & Experience
- Represented insurers who issued policies with combined liability limits in excess of $50 million in multiparty contribution lawsuit regarding potential coverage for over 1,000 toxic tort claims and environmental claims arising out of polluted sites across the country. A seven week jury trial resulted in a partial defense verdict, with the jury concluding that the pollution exclusions in various policies precluded coverage for the environmental claims.
- Represented insurers who issued policies with combined liability limits in excess of $100 million in a lawsuit regarding a nine figure pollution liability at the Portland Harbor Superfund Site and several other environmental sites.
- Represented insurer in lawsuit regarding potential coverage for wrongful death claim; obtained summary judgment dismissal based on policy exclusion for liability arising out of injury caused by intentional acts of the policyholder.
- Represented insurance carrier in dispute regarding UIM coverage, obtained favorable result in arbitration.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers