Kara A. Tredway
Kara’s practice focuses on the representation of insurance companies in coverage and extra-contractual matters, including defending first-party claims of bad faith, breach of contract, negligence, violations of the Consumer Protection Act and the Insurance Fair Conduct Act.
In addition to coverage litigation, Kara routinely advises clients regarding coverages over a wide variety of policies, including Commercial General Liability, Commercial Excess, Homeowner, and Personal Automobile. She also has extensive experience defending general liability matters, including product and premises liability, and personal injury claims.
- Recognized as a “Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers Magazine from 2019 – 2021
- Recognized as “Ones to Watch” by Best Laywers from 2021 – 2023
- Obtained summary dismissal of plaintiff’s bad faith, CPA and IFCA claims pertaining to residential fire loss; achieved favorable settlement for insurer-client during pending appeal.
- Secured summary dismissal of plaintiff’s claim that carrier committed bad faith by offsetting its prior PIP payments when making its pre-suit UIM valuation and assessment.
- Successfully defended reasonableness hearing involving $30 million covenant judgment pertaining to ongoing salvage operations of the SS Islander’s sunken gold, with court finding the proposed covenant judgment settlement was unreasonable.
- Washington State Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
- Mother Attorneys Mentoring Association of Seattle
J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 2011, with distinction
- Dean’s Honors
- Traynor Honor Society
- Witkin Award (Legal Research and Writing)
- Emil Gumpert Award in Trial Advocacy
- Law Journal (staff writer, Chief Managing Editor)
M.A., International Institute for the Sociology of Law, 2006, magna cum laude
B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, Law and Society, 2004, with honors
State of Washington
State of California
U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington