Michael D. Handler
Michael D. Handler provides expert guidance to insurance companies on first and third party insurance coverage analysis, as well as the defense of alleged bad faith in Washington, Oregon, and elsewhere around the country.
Michael’s skilled analysis and pro-active consultation helps his clients to advance, and when necessary to successfully litigate, their positions on high-stakes first party and third party insurance claims and complex risks.
- Northwest Insurance Coverage Association: Co-Chair and Chair, 2008 & 2009
- Super Lawyers – Rising Star 2008
- Staheli v. Chicago Ins. Co., 2016 WL 2930444 (W.D. Wash, 2016), aff'd, 751 F. App'x 1028 (9th Cir. 2019).
- VoiceStream Wireless Corp. v. Federal Ins. Co., 112 F.App’x 553 (9th Cir. 2004 Washington Law).
- Certain Underwriters at Lloyd’s, London v. Mass. Bonding & Ins. Co., 235 Or App 99, 230 P3d 103 (2010).
- Westchester Surplus Lines Insurance Company v. Keller Transport, Inc., 2016 MT 6.
- Other unreported cases available upon request.
- CLM Seattle Chapter President 2022, Vice President 2021
- American Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Washington Bar Association
- PLUS Northwest Chapter Committee 2016 – 2021, Continuing Education Chair 2021 – 2021
- Northwest Insurance Coverage Association (Co-Chair and Chair, 2008 & 2009)
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
- CLM Extracontractual/Focus Conference Presentations: 2014, 2015, 2017 & 2020
- CLM Annual Conference Speaker/Panelist 2022
- Professional Liability Defense Federation: Annual Meeting Presentations 2017, 2019 & 2021
- “PLDF Quarterly” Insurance Coverage columnist: 2018, 2019 & 2020
- PLUS Northwest Chapter: 2016-2019 Annual Presentations on “Cyber Liability”
- Forum on Environmental and Toxic Tort Issues (FETTI): 2013 & 2016 Conference Presentations
- In-House Insurer Trainings: 2013-2018
- Boston University School of Law J.D., 1993
- University of Pennsylvania, B.S.E. 1990
Send an Email
- State of Washington
- State of Oregon