Rick has practiced law since 1984 and is an experienced trial attorney. He primarily defends those who have had claims brought against them. He has tried many types of cases including products liability cases, automobile and trucking accident cases, professional liability cases, and premises liability cases. Rick has tried to verdict several complex disputes, including two environmental coverage claims, a construction defect claim, and a repetitive injury products liability claim. His favorite type of case involves coverage for environmental liabilities.
Rick is admitted to practice law in Oregon and Washington, including the federal courts in those states and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He frequently serves as an arbitrator and helps mediate disputes.
- Awarded “Lawyer of the Year” for Insurance Litigation by Best Lawyers in 2018
- Awarded “Best Lawyers - Insurance Law and Insurance Litigation” by Best Lawyers from 2016 to 2023
- Recognized as a “Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers magazine from 2007 to 2023
- Tried two environmental coverage cases that went to trial in Oregon, both lasting in excess of six weeks.
- Tried a six-week construction defect case, one of the few of its type to be tried in Oregon in 2009.
- Tried a three-week product liability "repetitive motion” trial in Seattle, WA.
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
- Oregon State Bar Association
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
- Multnomah County Bar Association
- Clark County Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Oregon State Board of Bar Examiners 1995-1998; Chair, 1997-1998
- Author: “Insurance Law in Oregon Chapter 18: CGL — Bodily Injury and Property Damage”, Oregon State Bar Legal Publication, 2020
- Co-Editor: “Damages”, Oregon State Bar Legal Publication, 2016, 2007, 2002, 1998
- Rick has a frequent speaking history for the Oregon Association of Defense Counsel (1998, 1997, 1995, 1993). He has spoken twice for Bad Faith Litigation in Oregon (1997, 1995); and at the Oregon Law Institute (1994).
J.D., University of Oregon School of Law, 1984
- Order of the Coif
B.A., Grinnell College, 1981
State of Washington
State of Oregon
U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals