Christopher A. Matheson
Chris's practice focuses on the defense of construction defect claims and product liability actions.
Chris also defends board members in claims against homeowner associations, and he has defended architects, attorneys, and realtors in professional liability matters. In 2008, Chris moved from Boston, Massachusetts, where he represented construction professionals, as well as national banks in lender-liability claims.
Practice Emphasis & Experience
- Defended framing subcontractor from construction defect claims brought by housing developer; argued that the parties’ contract was partly oral in nature, triggering a shorter statute of limitations that barred the developer’s claims; trial court agreed, dismissing all claims, and Court of Appeals upheld the trial court’s decision. See Harbour Homes, Inc. v. America 1st Roofing & Builders, Inc., et al., 158 Wn. App. 1017 (Div. 1, 2010).
- Defended Seattle Housing Authority employees in a civil rights violation brought by former participant in Section 8 housing program, argued that participant’s rights were not violated by Seattle Housing Authority’s actions; trial court agreed, dismissing all claims against employees. See Tucker v. Seattle Housing Authority, et al., USDC (Western) 2:13-cv-01566, Dkt. No. 62.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- KCBA Volunteer Pro Bono/Legal Clinic Attorney
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
- Trustee, 2014 to present
- Chairperson of Construction Section, 2014 to present
- Defense Research Institute
- Certified Litigation Management Professional with Litigation Management Institute
Articles & Presentations
- Chair: WDTL Annual Construction Law Seminar, March 2015
- Presenter: "The Independent Duty Rule: Past, Present, and Future," WDTL's Annual Construction Law Seminar, February 2014
- Author: "Common Disputes When Negotiating CR 35 Stipulations," Bar Bulletin, December 2013
- Presenter: "CR 35 Disputes and Fees," WDTL's Premises/Product Liability Seminar, October 2013
- Presenter: "Evolution of the Independent Duty Doctrine," WDTL's Annual Construction Law Seminar, February 2013
- Presenter: "Medicare’s New ‘Super Claim’ and Government Liens Simplified," NBI Seminar, September 2012
- Presenter: "Update on Medicare Settlement Rules for Defense Attorneys," WDTL Annual Tort Law Seminar, December 2011
- Presenter: "New Medicare Settlement Rules for Defense Attorneys," WDTL Annual Tort Law Seminar, December 2010
- Contributing Author: "Practitioner's Guide to Medicare Secondary Payer Issues," DRI MSP Task Force, June 2010
- Presenter: "Handling Settlements Under Medicare's New Extension Act," WDTL Insurance Conference, April 2010
- Presenter: "A New Roadblock to Settlement: The Medicare Extension Act," Forsberg & Umlauf Open House, November 2009
- Presenter: "The Medicare, Medicaid and SCHIP Extension Act and Its Impact on Insurers and Defense Counsel," WDTL Webinar, August 2009
- Contributing Author: "Construction Defect Law in Washington," Forsberg & Umlauf Legal Reference Guide