William A. Newmark
Will is an associate at Forsberg & Umlauf, his practice focuses on insurance coverage litigation and providing insurance coverage analysis and advice.
Before joining Forsberg & Umlauf, Will practiced in California where he represented domestic insurers and insurers in the London market in evaluating coverage for claims made under technology, media, cyber, commercial general liability, and miscellaneous professional services errors and omissions insurance policies. Over the span of his career, Will has drafted hundreds of coverage opinions and position letters, and has also assisted underwriters on numerous wording projects.
Practice Emphasis & Experience
- Represented insurer for wholesaler in class-action lawsuit for alleged violations of California’s Invasion of Privacy Act. Worked closely with defense counsel to resolve claim well within $10 million policy limits where potential exposure exceeded $50 million.
- Represented insurer of customer management company in class-action Telephone Consumer Protection Act lawsuit and prepared coverage position letter. Court granted summary judgment for insurer client based on policy exclusion for liability arising out of unsolicited phone calls.
- Represented cyber insurer in connection with class-action lawsuit arising from payment card breach. Worked with defense counsel to obtain dismissal of insured on summary judgment where putative class could not establish any actual harm resulting from breach.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society